Over the years, adding a loft conversion to the property has quickly become a favoured option for home renovation. It is also a quick, less stressful and economical alternative to moving houses. The homeowners use the loft area as a storage solution to enhance useable space or transform it into an extra guest room. A large master bedroom with an en-suite is also worth utilising the free space.
If you consider transforming the loft into a habitable space, opt for loft conversions in Caterham to fulfil your requirements. The right design and architectural elements can be a gamechanger for the property while enhancing its value. Hence they are cost-effective and provides a good return on investment too.
Different Types of Loft Conversion Styles
- Hip to gable Loft Conversion
- Mansard Loft Conversion
- Pitched Roof Dormer lofts
- Full Rear Dormer
- L-Shaped Loft
- Velux Loft Conversion
Can I Convert My Loft?
If your house already has a loft, there are good chances of converting it into a liveable space. You need planning permission for the smooth execution of the project. There are certain regulations and guidelines mentioned by the UK Government for a loft conversion.
- The area of additional space for terraced houses should not exceed 40 cubic metres
- For semi-detached and detached houses, it should not go beyond 50 cubic meters
- The extension must not reach beyond the outermost part of the roof slope, which is at the house’s front
- The extension must not go higher than the highest part of the roof
- The utilisation of additional material should match the already existing ones
- If you opt for side-facing window openings, it cannot go 1.7m or more
- The roof enlargement should not overhang does not overhang from the outer portion of the house’s wall
Other regulations to follow includes –
Fire safety: installation of fire-resistant doors is mandatory, along with installing the smoke alarms
Floor and beams: This is necessary to support the weight and construction of the new room
Sound insulation: The rooms must be insulated completely to stop noise transfer of noise
Stairs: Installation of new stairs is mandatory to escape in the event of a disastrous fire.
Party Wall permission: An agreement with the neighbour affecting the walls joining both houses
Benefits of a Loft Conversion
- Added space for personal usage
- Enhances the value of the property
- Increased living space which you can convert to any room of your liking
- Availability of different styles of loft conversion
- Easier process than moving out
- Enables you to create a multi-purpose room and a room with a view
Consult Lordan Lofts for more information about their high standard loft conversion services.